Monday 2 November 2009

Get in touch with my geek side (part 1)…

It’s been ages since I’ve done it, but I spent a fairly lazy weekend (excluding Saturday night) doing stuff I’ve never done in ages. First of all I went through some older comic books I have. I’ve been reading comics (especially from Marvel) since I was a boy in primary school. I can still remember the excitement I got before every scheduled trip to a near city from where I used to live, that had a comic bookstore. I think that you can still ask a couple of my then classmates and they would remember how I used to go on and on about it…

I’ve always loved comic books that had more than one main characters in them so that I could check how they would interact and evolve. That is why I used to read the X-series of Marvel and JLA. Occasionally I would buy titles like Spiderman, Daredevil, Batman or Spawn but X-Men and everything related was my favorite. I used to think that comic books with always the same characters would eventually repeat themselves and be boring. I didn’t even buy Fantastic Four for the same reason. Don’t get me wrong but it’s a matter of taste…


I read somewhere (I think) about how the secret lives of superheroes appeal to young gay men that hide their sexuality like having a second life. I don’t know if it’s true but I really loved my comic books when my mother hated them. She didn’t like me spending so much time (and money) reading them and she always argue on how I should be reading ‘normal’ books that would actually teach me something (according to her). That is why I used to hide them from her but she always managed to find them and throw them away. I think that I lost some amazing copies that way that I’d pay a fortune now to buy again…

However, I do have comics to thank for so many things. Primarily, I do believe that without them I wouldn’t get so much into reading and learning English. Comics and Computer Games are the main reason that I had to study harder in learning English so that I would understand what was going on in the plot.

Now, I don’t get that excited (losing my sleep) when going to buy my new comic books as I used to (sad but true), but I really do love browsing through them before choosing what to buy. I also tend now to buy Graphic Novels or whole Albums that I didn’t used to before because I simply couldn’t afford them.

No comments:

Post a Comment