Tuesday 14 September 2010

My chance in immortality!

My chance in immortality!

According to ‘Fame’:
Fame, I'm gonna live forever. I'm gonna learn how to fly, High
I feel it coming together. People will see me and cry, Fame…

I’m not exactly sure if people will see me and cry, but today I get my (first?) chance of becoming immortal. I might become the next Mona Liza and people will be talking about me for generations.

OK, I might be exaggerating! Let me start the story from the beginning.

There is an exhibition today in a central London gallery organised by a gay men’s club. The exhibition is called ‘Faces’ (I think) and it’s about portrait’s made by gay artists. One of the artists taking place is ‘JJ’ and one of the portraits there will be mine!!!! Yes, mine!

I like Botero's work

OK, ‘JJ’ is not Leonardo (yet) and I am not Mona. What I admire about him is the fact that he hasn’t finished any art school or taken any class but he has managed to successfully exhibit and sell his work in the past that he created (I believe) out of pure talent. There is a possibility though that some (poor) soul might like the portrait and buy it (me)! That means that I’ll be in someone’s living room, sitting room or corridor (or bathroom) for some time!

‘JJ’ doesn’t really want to sell my portrait and he slightly increased its price. In comparison to some of his other work it’s not that impressive to be honest. But it means so much to him and me. However, he forbade me of buying it. The commission of the organiser and the money given to charity (yes, it’s a charity event) means that the money ‘JJ’ will earn is not that great anyway, so I can’t do it for him.

The exhibition opens today and will take place for three days! I’m very curious to see if I’ll be sold…

5 comments:

  1. that is super awesome Nik, and tell JJ I said "Lekker boet!"

    I'm well impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you *really* want your portrait hanging in someone's bathroom? Think this through for a moment. ;-) Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks very interesting indeed! What's the how? Which club organised it? Will you find out whose walls you'll be gracing??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree with Mike. I do collect the odd piece...

    ahoj

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Wozzel. Dankie. I'll tell him.

    @Gauss_Jordan lol. No, I don't. But I can't say anything, can I? It's the buyer's choice...

    @Mike. It's the circa club. I think I can check the buyer (if I'm sold).

    @MadeInScotland cheers. :)

    ReplyDelete