Thursday 22 July 2010

Reading (totally different kind)

Lately, I’ve been worried a bit about the increase of my waistline so I decided to do something about it. I totally blame JJ (and he knows about it)… My housemate and sister are members of the weight watchers and they’ve been quite successful dropping off some pounds each. So, I decided to do something similar by buying myself a good scale to keep track of my weight weekly, trying to see the numbers go down.

So, I visited my local branch of Argos to see what’s on offer. I’ve found a really nice, flashy white scale with lots of buttons and memory that calculates weight, body fat, muscle mass, body water and BMI in a few seconds! Apparently it lets small electricity current to run through you to check all these different things. (Yes, I’ve even created a small excel chart for every one of them – I am that geek)!

Although I am happy that I drop a few kilos (the first ones are always easy to lose) I can’t exactly figure out the rest of the numbers. Take the body fat for example. I weighted myself two days ago. Since then I ate a burger at a nice restaurant (bad) but I went to the gym (good), ran 6 miles (good) and only had a salad with tuna in brine for dinner yesterday (very good). As expected, my weight was down for almost half a kilo (I don’t expect miracles) but my body fat had increased by 4%! Why? In such a rate the majority of me will be only fat! At least I’ll float better when I go swimming…


On a very different matter but still in the same category, I visited the doctor the other day. I wanted to check about the muscle pull I have. It’s been three weeks and it is still causing me some discomfort. The (very good looking) doctor told me that there is nothing to worry about. He told me that it could take up to 6 weeks to heal. Also, if I had any problem with my ribs I would definitely know. He fell down the stairs (poor thing) and he cracked 4 ribs. He could move for days…

Anyway, while I was there I had a brief health check. Frau Freida (the nurse) checked my pulse and blood pressure. Unfortunately, the reading of my blood pressure was very high that frau was very surprised. I expected it to be high (it runs in the family) but not that much. Since you can’t really tell from just one reading, I will go again in a couple of days to double check.

I have to admit that I am slightly troubled. The past year I’ve been living quite an active life, I don’t add extra salt to food, I don’t usually eat red meat (excluding that burger I had two days ago) and I like my veggies, fish and fruit. The only sin that I can admit is my love for feta cheese. For those of you who haven’t tried it, feta is a quite salty goat cheese. It’s good for the bones though...

4 comments:

  1. I honestly believe feta is a gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cubby!

    Good luck with the weight loss! I'm also on a mission at the moment. 16 months of being in a realtionship has done scary things to my weight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. High blood pressure tendencies, just like me.
    Rarely I have nosebleeds because it is too high.
    Anyway, I hope you sort yourself out asap.
    I have to do the same... I am really heavy right now.

    Good luck.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Cubby. lol. So Do I. I can have feta with everything...

    @Wozzel thanks. So, you do know what I'm talking about...

    @Pedders Nosebleeds? Sorry to hear that. No, I don't have experiences like that...
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete