Thursday 2 June 2011

One and a Half.

Today I have one and a half anniversary. I met JJ exactly 18 months ago. It doesn’t say much as a number I know. Since I was in high school with my then girlfriend, I had decided that after the first year, the next anniversary to be celebrated would be the next. I wasn’t a big fan of teddy bears, silly cards or radio song dedications anyway. To avoid all that, I decided not to celebrate silly things like half anniversaries that she wanted. I know that some decisions are very important, especially the ones you made at 16, but some rules are meant to be broken… So, I asked JJ out for a date tonight and I bought him a small present. I even thought of making a theme out of it but the only thing I could think of was getting one a half cake. You can't wear 1.5 t-shirt or make love 1.5 times etc... Can you?

At first he said yes. The plan was for us to go out to a nice place for dinner. I spent some hours trying to find a nice place with a twist. Meaning I’d like us to do something different or something we haven’t done in a while. We like trying out stuff like a very good Thai restaurant I know or a Korean bbq where the food is grilled at your table or an amazing Italian place with a vulgar name but massive portions of great food. I had decided on a nice Turkish restaurant where you sit on massive cushions and share food in a cosy friendly environment under the candlelight. That is the reason I totally love London. There are so many options its mind blowing.

However, that plan was not to be realised because ‘JJ’ pulled a muscle. It may sound simple but it is very painful and frustrating. He managed to pull his neck so much that he can’t twist his head, make sudden movements or lift his right arm too much! For a person like him who doesn’t know how to sit down, rest and do nothing, the situation is maddening. I had to talk to him to make him realise that he needs to take some time off work. He wasn’t easily convinced though. He had to sneeze while we had that conversation to feel the excruciating pain to actually agree with me. He’s started seeing a chiropractor and he will get better soon. What I do for the time being is take care of him and make him laugh, even if it causes him pain… The other option is to keep him sedated with drugs.

8 comments:

  1. Yay, drugs! I mean...congrats on your one and a half. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy - the drugs for now! Always celebrate anniversary later when JJ is in better form!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy 1.5 or 18 months

    blessed with good and healthy relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In sickness and in health...
    I love watching your relationship with JJ grow and evolve. Congratulations on the 1.5 year anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Westopher! Thanks. :-)

    @SteveA Yes, we can celebrate now or later. It doesn't really matter...

    @Suf_n_Steve Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Cubby OK, we're not married yet! Don't put this pressure on me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers. :-) And I know what that feels like... I pull something once or twice a year, and earlier, *tore* a muscle in my back, and couldn't move for a week. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Gauss_Jordan I know. It sucks terribly. I don't have personal experience but I saw how JJ was suffering. The chiropractor did wonders on him though.

    ReplyDelete