Monday 26 April 2010

Movie weekend…

I hadn’t planned it this way, but it just happened. I watched 6 movies this weekend, two each night. Some of them were really bad and some better than expected, some I had already watched, some in DVD and some accidentally on the telly.

(I also managed to spend 5 really nice hours in Regent’s Park for a picnic with friends enjoying the sun and playing Frisbee with ‘JJ’!)

Anyway, the movies I saw in ‘order of appearance’ were:
The fantastic Four
Jason X
The Box
Passenger 57
Zombieland
Miss Congeniality 2

What do these movies have in common?Nothing…
They are not even of the same genre…I believe the worst was ‘the Box’. It was even worse than ‘Passenger 57’ which is the one with Wesley Snipes jumping off and on planes chasing bad guys and a young Elizabeth Hurley before she first had plastic surgery (take a look at that nose, that’s huge!!!). At least ‘Passenger 57’ wasn’t taking itself too seriously. It was full of silly jokes and action scenes not to be believed in any way. It’s in the same category of Jean-Claude Van Damme’s movies.If you check online the tagline of the movie is (I don’t expect anyone to remember that, the movie was released in 1992):
He's an ex-cop with a bad mouth, a bad attitude, and a bad seat. For the terrorists on flight 163 . . . he's very bad news.

Hilarious! ‘The box’ on the other hand, was awful! That’s not a psychological thriller, it’s a joke. The plot was so predictable. It was just a combination of similar movies with a Cameron Diaz trying to appear anxious and dramatic…

Yes, that's a young Hurley(I know, it doesn't look a lot like her)


That's Cyclops and Fiona trying to look worried

‘The fantastic Four’ and ‘Miss congeniality’ are movies I’ve seen a couple of times. The first one is not something exceptional but easy to follow. The latter is one fine movie to watch on a Sunday evening to finish your weekend, work on your laptop while getting ready for the new week.

Jason X is actually fun. It’s not a movie to make you scared but a movie to watch with friends, comment upon and laugh. It contains all stereotypes of slasher movies, exaggerated and ridiculed. There is of course the half naked blonde girl dying first (unfortunately without the high heels like in ‘Valentine’s Day’). There are the common sex scenes found in similar movies where women breasts are exposed. Jason even gets an upgrade and becomes half metallic! We laughed so much watching it…

I watched ‘Zombieland’ with ‘JJ’ while having dinner yesterday at his place. Watching that movie while eating is probably not the best idea but we enjoyed it. It has a wicked sense of humour and has something new to offer in terms of plot and direction that makes it quite interesting. It’s not of course an award winning movie, but it is actually a good action movie. I wouldn’t say it’s a thriller in any way… I loved the series of survival rules…

5 comments:

  1. I *really* liked Zombieland: "Time to nut up or shut up!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 words darling,

    A COUCH POTATO!

    muahhhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Gauss_Jordan I didn't expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised... Woody was very good and I loved the girl from ‘little miss sunshine’

    @Suf_n_Steve... lol... That's 3 words!
    I went running on Friday evening as planed. I did my 10k for the weekend. I also did some personal training with JJ during the week. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the guy who plays Cyclops - super sexy; have you seen him in Hairspray as Corny Collins?

    As for Zombieland - it was fun, but try Pontypool - I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @MadeInScotland Yes, I like Cyclops as well. Have you seen him in 'Heights'?

    ReplyDelete