Tuesday 29 June 2010

The blue screen of Death…

I’m pretty sure that most of you are familiar with it. It’s the blue screen appearing while working on Windows just before it shuts down / restarts / crushes. I was pretty sure that this screen was extinct by now. Unfortunately for me, it hasn’t. It still does appear in a Windows XP, Service Pack 3 machine, my machine that I run at work.


I spent a full day yesterday and half a day today trying to fix it but in vain. Fortunately, there are more a dozens of PCs that I can choose from to keep on working but I really want to make my old one work. I am now running memory tests, driver updates, malware removals and everything known to my disposal to fix this. Unfortunately, I have to rush back to my old desk to pick up the phone and provide support using a PC that is in a nearby desk. It’s all very high tech, I assure you…

This is what happened to me yesterday, the first day of the week, of course on a MONDAY!



My weekend was pretty nice. It took us 6 hours to drive to Newcastle and 5 to come back. So, I spent in total around 11 hours in a car, singing, dancing, being bored and trying to do everything in our powers to make the journey nicer. There are some things I have to comment on our weekend.

The first thing I’d like to comment is that Newcastle in general is a beautiful city. It’s quite picturesque with beautiful bridges, nice buildings and shops. We went to an incredible Turkish restaurant for dinner and for drinks after that. The prices of the restaurants and bars there are so cheap there, it’s scandalous. ‘JJ’ had as a main a big whole grilled sea-bass for £11 and the cocktails in the bar cost £2.5 each! Find a place in London where you can get a whole grilled fish for that price!



However, I can’t not comment on the locals! They are very friendly, but the way they are dressed is extraordinary! Most women were dressed in very short, very bright coloured dresses, very high heels in colours like bright orange or light green, eye-popping fake jewellery and enormous hats / fake flowers on their heads! The heavy makeup and hair that look like they just got out of the hairdresser’s are also visible! They must have been spending a fortune and their whole day getting ready, just to go out for drinks on a Saturday evening! You really have to see it, to believe it!

In general, men there are good looking, if you are into that kind of rough look. I’m not going to use the word ‘Chav’ but I definitely had problems understanding them. Most of youngsters were into bright white sneakers, very tight t-shirts and jeans. The vast majority had tattoos on their arms, very short hair and some chains around their necks.

What else I’d like to comment is the drinking! They consume tremendous amounts of alcohol! As a matter of fact, even the next morning that we headed for breakfast in the hotel, some people were having their morning pints (yes, in plural) at 9:00 on a Sunday morning.

We planned it so that we’d be back to London when the football match was on. That way most of the roads were empty, so we didn’t have any problem with traffic…

9 comments:

  1. Give me a mature hot man anyday......kids in tights tees turn me on I have to say...but my interest is peaked for a small amount of time.

    Om a different note - I'm craving turkish food...I had some great mid-eastern food in Paddington whilst I as there.

    Sorry about england - 4:1 to Germany? Something has to be done...I looked at the Argentina/Mexico game at a traditional English pub - was fun!

    Anyways - I am hoping Argentina wins the Cup! (just saying)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @SteveA I love Turkish cuisine very much.
    I don't know about Argentina. I fear Brazil will win as usual. I'd like to see Germans advancing though. They play really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You really have to see it, to believe it!" Was your camera broken?

    I'm glad you had a good time. Singing and dancing in the car to make your journey nicer? There's another thing you could have done too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup! That's Newcastle. In October/Nov those girls are still wearing skimpy and the boys T only on top!!!

    ahoj

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Cubby lol. My friends had their cameras with them, so they took most of the pictures. I still need to get my hands on them.
    We were 4 in the car of different sexual orientation, so we didn't do anything naughty in the car

    @MadeInScotland. It's a cultural phenomenon. I have to go back to see it again and video it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Χορεύεις μέσα στο αυτοκίνητο;;; Πρέπει να είναι τεράστιο.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vilges_Suola Όταν λέω 'χορεύεις', εννοώ κουνιέσαι στον ρυθμό της μουσικής ενώ κάθεσαι και όχι ακούγωντας Γαρμπή.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So none of those memory tests and drivers update worked? That’s unfortunate! What about having the PC reformatted? Though you might want to back up your files so you won’t have to lose them when you go for the reformat. -- Ruby

    ReplyDelete