Friday 2 September 2011

It’s all a matter of perspective…

Lately I’ve been thinking how our attitude affects the way we react to external triggers. That’s not big news you’d tell me, but I was amazed at the extend this can get. I noticed this mostly during the evenings I go to the gym when I have the personal torturer.

The evenings I was in a good mood, even if I was tired, I was able to follow through the whole session without complaining much and managing the weights and exercises suggested. However, the evenings when I was cranky and didn’t want to go to the gym, the sessions seemed never ending, more difficult and like a torture. These evenings were more common when I felt under pressure from external factors, like the Java exams last year or the new job last month. I wasn’t able to put all my problems aside and forget them at the entrance to enjoy my time there.


In a way, I do believe that bad things happen to bad people. I believe that if you’re bad tempered and complain all the time, it’s like you’re provoking Fate to throw the worst at you. For example, my grandfather was like that. I remember once the whole family went out for dinner. Around 14 people ordered their food and it happened that out of everybody, my grandfather had to get the spoiled portion. A huge argument followed. I very clearly remember my mother asking why it had to happen to my grandfather and not someone else. The whole fight would have been avoided!

I don’t want to become like that. I want to be able to control my temper or mood or attitude to a degree at least. So I’ve started trying to change my mood before my gym sessions. Some people use some kind of meditation or breathing technics to do that. I try to use music. I avoid all sad or nostalgic songs and I prefer strong upbeat songs. For example ‘Adele’ can’t put me in a gym mood. However Ting Tings singing ‘That’s not my name’ or Pink can. I wouldn’t go as far as Marilyn Manson. I don’t want to wreck stuff. I need to feel confident that I can go through the session and do almost everything thrown at me.


So far, this technic more or less works. Last night I even stayed with ‘gb’ a bit longer after the session with the trainer to do some more repetitions. That has never ever happened before. Usually, I am the first out. I was in a good state of mind yesterday. I don’t know how long this will last till something or someone stresses me too much or pisses me off making me lose my focus. Life is not easy but I hope to try to make the most of it.

4 comments:

  1. a commendable approach, indeed.
    We often find what we are look for; and we often create what we want to do. So the choice of a positive approach often 'pays off' to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ur-Spo Thanks. Exactly my point...

    ReplyDelete
  3. very wise words! this is the kind of attitude i like to have. not always easy though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Luuworld. No, it's not easy. We have to try though...

    ReplyDelete