Sunday 5 August 2012

5 on the 5th

I was very happy to be informed that Stephen from 'The State of the Nation UK' revived the 5 on the fifth. That's a posting where you share 5 pictures taken on the days leading to the 5th of the month. Hopefully this is not the last and we might see more coming the following months. Stephen?




This month's theme is 'summer'. Here are the pictures I took since Friday:


The amazing summer British weather. This year it was dreadful, even worse than normal. I think I read that we had more rain since records began all these years ago... There were floods today in parts of the UK.

 This year of course is all about the Olympics. That's Cleopatra's needle Wenlock in Embankment gardens (in front of Cleopatra's needle)

 Summer is about harvest as well. That's a courgette I picked from our garden yesterday. This year for the first time ever I planted some vegetables and for the time being I can see some amazing courgettes growing in the garden. 

 That's a copy of Myron's diskobolos ("discus thrower") at the entrance of the British Museum. I took this picture today. They run an 'Olympic' themed exhibition in the museum which is interesting to watch. 


There are various exhibitions running in the Capital at the moment. This is 'Mr Brainwash's (Thierry Guetta)  work which is a massive Kate Moss. The artist is the guy who did 'exit at Gift Shop' and Madonna's Celebration cover.

Extra picture. The above is what happened to the courgette I picked from the garden: an amazing omelette for breakfast yesterday! You can't imagine how delicious it was...

9 comments:

  1. The cucumber looks like Wenlock!

    Nothing tastes as good as home grown food. Our potatoes have so much flavour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, yes you're right. I've corrected my typo. :-P
      I will definitely try to plant vegetables next year too

      Delete
  2. Mmmmmmm. I wanna taste of the omelette!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy these 5 on 5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being veggie, that omelette looks like it would delight my taste buds no end. Shame that I've no interest in (a) gardening/ growing things and (b) cooking. Even though omelettes are the most advance 'dish' I do make, slicing a tomato to put in it is about my limit. Cooking and slicing up a courgette is far too complicated ;-) though it sounds and looks absolutely delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked cooking. Especially if it is not just for me. The only thing I still don't like is cleaning up the mess I've created afterwards.
      Gardening is something I'm trying for the first time bad I have to admit it's quite enjoyable..

      Delete
  5. Mmm the omelette looks delish. You have my address. Send me some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... it could be interesting to watch the face of the border control people if I tried something like that...

      Delete