Tuesday 3 December 2013

DIY, moving and anniversary day

The last couple of weeks have passed in a bit of a blur. We got the keys to our property on the 12th of November and we wanted to make it ready before we moved in. That meant we had 2 weeks to really work hard on it before the weekend of the 30th, which was move-in day!

The tenants of the place weren't the cleanest people I met. On top of that, they had a baby, a bird, a cat and a dog! All these animals (apart from the baby) did wonders to the light coloured carpets of the first floor. We’re talking about serious filth. The moment you entered the hallway, the stink would hit you like a slap to your face. There was so much dog hair everywhere! And we couldn't have that. So, we begun the process of removing the carpets to restore the original wooden floors and also paint the bedrooms.

The before picture with carpet and yellow wallpaper and skirting boards

The second before picture. So much dirt... 

Removing the carpets 

 That's me happily (?!) sanding the floors

The first weekend we spent it removing the old carpets and their joints. We needed to cut them up in manageable rolls and remove the carpets’ under layer. Also, we needed to remove all nails and staples that held everything in place. Because the weekend after that we rented sanding machines to sand the floors and they needed to be clean from everything that might damage the sanding paper. We had never used machines like that. There was a learning curve to it, but I believe we did well. There are so many good DIY websites and YouTube videos to check. Finally, we applied the varnish.

Finish sanding the floors and removing the wallpapers

First layer of varnish and undercoat on the walls

While doing all that, we spent as much time as we had around work hours to paint the rooms and pack our stuff. We removed wallpapers, sanded walls, applied undercoats and paint. And then, finally, the last weekend arrived. I had Friday off and Jeff had rented a van. His company provides him days off to move anyway. So, we did lots of trips back and forth. We had some friends helping us in various stuff, like assemble IKEA furniture or bring food and it went more or less fine. We didn’t break anything!!! I count that as a success.

The second bedroom after we finished it.

So, yesterday, I travelled for the first time from our new place to work. It felt great! We still haven’t completely finished the third bedroom and there are boxes all over the place, but we have all the time in the world to sort things out!

In addition, yesterday was the day of our first mortgage payment AND my anniversary with JJ! I met him exactly 4 years ago in a bookstore that is now a METRO bank (boo) in Fulham Broadway! My life has changed for the better in so many ways since then! I love him to bits. This journey, which I think has just begun, is something amazing that I will treasure!
I’m just so happy!!!!

9 comments:

  1. You did a great job on the floor- looks really nice. And congratulations on your anniversary. You'll be happy in that house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. We really tried to make the floors nice. We just couldn't let them in the state they were.
      :-)

      Delete
  2. What book were you looking at when you first met him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really remember, sorry. I can tell that I was in the sci-fi, fantasy department though. That's where I always start in a bookstore and I remember not being there long

      Delete
  3. As they would say here in Brazil where I am currently on vacation, para bems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The floors look great - restoring them makes a huge difference to the rooms. Have you met any neighbours yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met both my adjacent neighbours. We had a slightly rough start but it's getting better now. It's a story I might have to post... :-)

      Delete
  5. I might be months late, but I want to congratulate you for your new home! I assume you’ve settled yourself already after the tiring house hunting and moving. You’ve done a great job in selecting a home for your family. I hope you’ll be able to take care of that house in the years to come. Congrats again! :)

    Dave Owens

    ReplyDelete