Thursday 18 August 2011

Rant

I usually don’t like to complain and I don’t usually swear. I was however on the verge of doing unspeakable things yesterday!

Let me start from the beginning. As most people do, I don’t like waking up in the middle of the night if I don’t have to. Especially to annoying or loud noises. I still remember being 10 years old and waking up once frightened in the middle of the night when the phone starting ringing. It sounded so loud in the middle of the quiet night. On the phone, it was my aunt telling us that my grandmother passed way. I remember these days vividly because it was the first family death I ever faced.

Anyway, I was happily sleeping yesterday night when something woke me up. Don’t ask me how I knew I was happy. Let’s just say that I do enjoy my sleep time. Anyway, the sound that woke me up was a dog barking, really close to my window and the time was 4:00am! At first I got annoyed with the stupid dog! Why did he have to start barking like that in the middle of the night?

I noticed however that he wouldn’t stop and that no human voice tried to calm him. Also, the way he barked wasn’t normal. He didn’t sound like he was trying to protect or attack someone. He sounded like being in pain. A few minutes later he started wailing, so I had to take a look. From my window I could see that the dog was alone, tied closely to the nearby traffic light and he was in distress. He was looking towards the four possible directions of the junction and was barking towards them. Someone obviously simply abandoned the dog there and left him.

I felt so sorry for the dog. He was a white English Bull Terrier and he seemed young. He kept on making circles barking in every possible direction that people might come. This specific breed of dogs are mostly bought from people who are generally, (how can I say that politely?) not respected in the society! Some people call them chavs, white trash etc. I generally find them very cute though.


I started getting very annoyed about this and angry to the person who abandoned their dog like that. I was thinking of possible ways of helping but I couldn’t find a good one. I’m not sure if there is a charity doing 24 hours service that would collect him. I wasn’t feeling very confortable taking the dog myself. I live in a flat and I didn’t know where to put him. My brain wasn’t functioning too well that late at night anyway. Thankfully. The neighbours after a while from across the street went to check on the dog. A lady brought him a bowl of water as well.

The moment the dog saw them, stopped barking and sat down on the road, in complete submission. He whelped a bit and then stopped making any sound whatsoever. He kept on looking at them waiting to see his fate. The people on the street started talking to one another. They were probably trying to decide what to do. After a while, one of them probably suggested taking the dog to his place till the next day.

So, the crisis was over. It was getting 4:30 in the morning though and I was awake. I felt angry at the old dog’s owner and frustrated that I couldn’t sleep. Is it just me, or there are times you want to have learnt a little African voodoo magic to curse some people. Not seriously do them harm, but just a little bit…

11 comments:

  1. Awh, that poor dog. I can't understand why someone would do that. Recently here in Manchester, a dog was found with a 5 inch knife in his chest. It made headlines in the UK. Disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I feel like taking him home. So easy, but once home...too difficult. He looks so super cute.

    ahoj

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a specific level in Hell for people who mistreat animals. Nothing makes me more angry I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karma is a bitch. I don't wish evil on such people, they just did that for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, sorry bout the rude awakening.... glad somebody decided to reach out, the steretype of dog owner is similar to owning pitbulls in the states perhaps.. hmm. later
    dan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, my neighbor's got a pair of dogs that are (probably) quite nice. She, however abandons them outside in a dusty, bare back yard with no stimulation, toys, and (possibly) food or water for hours and hours at a time. A year or so ago, I kept a log of the times they'd bark at night, and sent it to the homeowner's association monthly. I always stated that it wasn't the animals' faults they were locked outdoors. After about 6 months of this, the association emailed me back and said that they'd "taken action," and recommended that I call the police next time. I haven't yet done that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thing some nice people helped the poor dog, hope it ends up somewhere nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mind of Mine. That's awful! Why would they do that?

    @Cubby Yes, some of them

    @Made In Scotland Yes, once you take it, it's not easy to give it back...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ur-Spo That specific level sounds good... :-p

    @the cajun I hope you're right

    @dan The stereotype in UK as well is related to pitbull ownership...

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Gauss Jordan That's sad. The dog feels probably abandonded. Why would you buy a dog to treat it like that in the first place?

    @Luuworld I hope so too

    ReplyDelete