Tuesday 13 November 2012

Reading material


Recently I finished reading a book called ‘Before I go to sleep’. I think it was a best seller here and in the USA. It’s highly enjoyable and well written. It’s about a woman with amnesia, trying to cope with her life and discover her past. There are some secrets buried there and not many things make sense to her. I’m not giving out any big spoilers, but a huge part of the book is about the importance of memory and life experiences. It’s about how our personal history, choices and familiarities really define us and our personalities, that, and the importance of the heroine’s diary. That diary is her source of information and doorway to her past, the same way our blogs sometimes are for us.

I don’t generally have a good memory. I forget dialogs, names and situations. However, I’m happy to have this blog and being able to go back, at least for the last 3 years that I’ve been writing, to check about events and people from my past. I hope to be able to keep on writing, even if I have changed since then and my writing with me. Its nice taking trips back in memory lane for a short while, in order to refresh some memories and relive situations.

I’m in the process of creating some new memories of a lifetime by travelling to Africa in a few days. I’ve done my first round of sorting out things I’ll take with me, last weekend. It’s fascinating separating summer clothes again like t-shirts, shorts and bathing suits when it’s so cold outside, here in London. It will be weird going from 2 degrees Celsius to 30 in two days. Most likely I’ll get a cold when I get back. Hopefully, not when I’m there...

I also spent part of my weekend reading about South Africa and watching youtube videos regarding the places we will visit, including the Elephant Park. If we manage to see some of the things I’ve reading/watching it will so great. ‘JJ’ bought a proper SLR camera as well and spent the last days learning in detail how to use it.

Going back to some of my older posts of this blog, I found out that I used to post various cartoon strips, like Garfield. So, in order to fight this Monday’s blues, here are some cartoons:




 

8 comments:

  1. And that is why I blog: to look back over time and see where I've been and what I've done.

    And to annoy people. ;-)

    Have a safe journey to South Africa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true...
      I haven't thought the annoying people element. lol... :-)

      Delete
  2. I would add when you go on a major trip, take a paper diary/journal with you. I have no memory at all of my Europe trip in the late 80s. but, thanks to my journal, a lot of it comes back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We took around 2000 pictures. I hope these will help me remember. I will try to blog some details on the trip as well, now that it is still fresh...

      Delete
  3. looking forward to hearing about the trip

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been blessed with a really good memory. I memorize music easily, and movie dialog, and commercials, and crazy random facts.

    But I do have trouble with names. I think it's because unless the person is extremely interesting to me, I just don't care enough to remember. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not me. My memory is not that good. I really wish it was sometimes...

      Delete