Saturday 15 September 2012

The older I get


Watching stand-up comedy on the television at the evening is something that I usually do. It’s fun to watch (most of the times) and there is no plot to have to keep up with. I generally prefer British comedians, since the events or people they comment upon are more familiar, but sometimes I choose American ones. Recently I watched Wanda Sykes in Netflix. It wasn’t probably a very recent one, but that doesn’t really matter. I found some of the stuff she said or rather the way she said them very funny.


One of the things she said is ‘the older I get, the less I care about things’. She added that the amount of times she says ‘I don’t give a fuck’ has increased the last years!  I found this comment very true. I remember from my youth worrying so much more about things, trivial things that used to keep me up at night. One of my very early childhood stories was about the period before I first started school. My mother keeps saying to me that I couldn’t stop worrying, even crying, about what I’ll face there for weeks before I started. Yes, maybe I was a mummy’s boy since then, I don’t know…


Of course I still worry about things now. However I believe I have a better perspective over matters or I simply grew a tougher skin. I don’t care that much about what other people say or think about me and even if something out of the ordinary happens, I’m sure that it will ease of or be forgotten over time. I don’t know if being gay made me grow that tougher skin, or simple growing up. Of course I do have my sensitive side, but I think it evolved over time to be affected by different things.

I’m not sure why I brought up this subject now, but ‘oh,well’…

Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Great post. I do think that people are better are prioritizing how they invest their emotional energy as they get older and, hopefully, more mature. That said, I envy your comment; "I don't care that much about what other people say or think about me...." I could use a little more of that philosophy in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I do care what other people say or think about me, as long as they are important people to me. However, I generally don't care about bystanders, acquaintances, strangers etc.

      Delete
  2. I see this in parents, as they age and have more children. The older ones are outraged how the parents are more lax with the younger siblings. For they have learned not to be so neurotic about things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. I saw it with my parents as well. Being the second son, I had a more lax upbringing...

      Delete
  3. I definitely care a LOT less what I where day to day, as far as if I like it I'll wear it, and in college I always was afraid of looking too gay. It also helps I grew into the clothes at size L, and am not a stick wearing XL as if that hided anything.. ha

    ReplyDelete