Monday 21 January 2013

Weekend thoughts…



  • I really love the sound of footsteps on nice and fresh snow! It snowed a lot the past few days in London. The scenery was simply lovely. So, I put my wellies on and I went for a walk to the neighbourhood and nearby Park, yesterday morning. I stayed out as much as I could. When I started not feeling my face, I went indoors for a lovely warm coffee to read the Sunday paper and watch the people outside slide over the icy roads.

  • Question of the day: Am I supposed to feel sad or sorry for Lance Armstrong? Because I’m not. I didn’t watch his full interview, but from the part that I watched, I thought he sounded as smug as ever. I don’t think he’s sorry about it. He’s only sorry he got caught. The only but high credit I can give him is from having cancer and stopping it. Being diagnosed with the big C is probably the worst news someone can get.

  • I also realised how my perception of things change over the years. Things I used to love don’t mean that much to me anymore and vice versa. To be more specific, I’ve recently re discovered a love I have to Mediterranean / Greek cuisine and its value. After the excessive holiday eating, we’ve been trying with JJ to cook a bit healthier. So, we’ve found some Greek recipes that I really despised while growing up. Things like Greek style spinach and rice (spanakorizo), pork with leeks and Briam (tourlou) were dishes I really didn’t like. I now thankfully (for my waist line) love them. On the opposite side, I watched Coppola’s ‘Dracula’ the other day with Gary Oldman. I hadn’t seen it for years but I remember really falling for it when I first watched it. Now, watching it again felt like such a disappointment! Unfortunately, after all these years, it has faded out.

 

6 comments:

  1. ah! the sound of footsteps on snow. i love that sound as well!

    as for mr armstrong....puke. that smug face! and he wants to compete profesionally again. shameless.

    greek food: i haven't had lots of it, but the stuff i've had is really delicious! it really is a pity i can't explore greek food back home. there aren't many greek restaurants there. i'm sure you have a really rich food culture. and i'm certain i would love that spinach dish you write about. it's one of my favorite vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spinach rice is really easy to do. Take a look at that:
      http://www.kalofagas.ca/2009/05/14/spanakorizo-a-la-minute/
      That website has some really nice recipes.

      Delete
  2. I like eating Greek-- for the cream sauce. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating Greek the same way I'm eating South African?

      Delete
  3. I can not imagine not liking Greek food but then it was a treat for us, going to "Greektown" down in Detroit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a Greektown in Detroit? Impressive. :-)

      Delete