Tuesday 16 October 2012

Through someone else’s eyes…


I’ve mentioned before that for the month of October, a very good friend of mine from my childhood is staying over at our place. He’s doing a temporary placement and he’s busy during the day, but I generally try to entertain him during some evenings or the weekends to show him London and places that he will not easily find in a guide book.

Having a coffee in the morning across the street from the Royal Court House


In case you were wondering, some shops already have Christmas stuff 

 And to be honest I’ve been enjoying these outings very much! We’ve done so many different things the last days which were a very nice distraction from my daily routine. For example we visited parts of West London like the Holland Park where I hadn’t been in months if not years. It’s such a beautiful park and walking around the surrounding areas is so enjoyable. The architecture of the buildings, the tranquillity of the park and the sunny weather made that walk very nice. Or we went to Tate Modern to see a ‘Munch’ exhibition.

The view from Tate Modern

Watching people making globes in the 'Royal Geographical Society' 

We even did a ‘Jack the Ripper’ tour last week! We met a guide in the Eastern part of the city, late one evening, and she took us around the area and showed us where the various killings occurred. She had a small projector and she showed us pictures of that time and actual photographs of the victims and their autopsies. She was generally stating the facts without exaggerations. I was afraid it would be a time wasting experience with the guide trying to be extra scary but thankfully that wasn’t the case. She was actually very funny and didn’t take herself or what she was doing too seriously which made the experience quite enjoyable and amusing. We talked about the various conspiracy theories and possible suspects.

The Japanese garden in the Holland Park

Seeing London through the eyes of a guest can be rejuvenating. It’s a very beautiful city with an endless source of different things to do and small escapes here and there. Here are some pictures I took the last week.

A nice lady in Clapham

6 comments:

  1. Did you go to the Ten Bells? When I went on the JTR Walking tour back in the 90's went stopped there. I love London; and it's amazing to see something you take for granted through a visitor's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ten Bells were part of the tour. It was quite fun. :-)

      Delete
  2. I want to see London again - I could spend a month or more seeing all the sights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, London is really nice. Come, I can take you to some really places. :-)

      Delete
  3. I really need to get over to that side of the pond. So many things to see, and my only point of reference is what I see from British TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. British TV? As in Downtown Abbey? Dr Who? lol... You might have some weird ideas about what's going on here... :-)

      Delete